There are many reasons to decide to use a specific method book. Here are a few items worth considering.
Circumstances to consider when selecting a method book:
- The age at which your students begin instruction.
- The number of days per week that class meets.
- The length of each class.
- Is part of that class time taken by room set-up?
- Do many students take private lessons?
- Do you have team teaching?
Pedagogical factors to consider when selecting a method book:
- Do you teach by rote at first?
- Do you prefer to start arco or pizzicato?
- Do you prefer to start with fingers down and the hand blocked or fingers up?
- Do you prefer note names in the note heads?
Alfred Music has a method to fit every need.